Muffins for breakfast always sound like a good idea. These chocolate cherry muffins were inspired by a ‘clean out the freezer’ day! To be quite honest, we needed to make some room for more ice cream and a big ole’ bag of frozen cherries was taking up way too much space. The idea of cherry pie or a cherry galette wasn’t super intriguing, but cherries and chocolate? I’m listening.
I also thought long and hard about adding almond slivers to this recipe. I opted out because babe doesn’t like nuts in his baked goods (party pooper). So if you’re a nut fan, I highly recommend giving almond slivers or crushed pecans a try! I love the extra crunch factor and they’re a great source of healthy fats to add to your morning.
These chocolate cherry muffins of goodness can definitley be made with fresh pitted cherries as well. Just don’t forget to remove the pits! A few extra tips for this recipe? Coconut sugar can be substitued with white or light brown sugar if necessary. Most importantly: if you want to melt your butter in the microwave, put it in a cup! I forget this little tid-bit every time and I always just stick the paper packaged stick in the microwave and end up with a plate full of melted butter *face palm*.
If you’re looking for some additional delicious breakfast inspiration, try a few of my other recipes. More muffins? These BLUEBERRY CRUMBLE MUFFINS are perfect for all of those sweet blueberries in season this summer. Protein up with eggs? My BUTTERNUT SQUASH CRUST QUICHE is a fan favorite and the most popular recipe on my blog for two years running! Breakfast hash lover? Try this CHIPOTLE SWEET POTATO BREAKFAST HASH or WHOLE 30 SPICY SESAME BREAKFAST HASH.
Alright friends, it’s chocolate cherry muffin o’clock! Check out the recipe below and enjoy a bite of deliciousness on me.
- 2 c cherries, pitted
- 1/2 c softened butter
- 1 c coconut sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 c milk
- 1 c dark chocolate chips (or chunks broken from a bar
- Preheat oven to 375°F and grease a muffin tin.
- If using frozen cherries, let simmer in a small pan for about 5 minutes at high heat. This will help reduce the excess liquid before adding to the batter. Let cool while you make the batter.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine butter and sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla to the mixture.
- Using a separate bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder.
- Add flour mixture and milk to the large bowl of wet ingredients. Mix batter until smooth.
- Fold the cherries into the muffin batter along with the chocolate chunks.
- Transfer batter to the muffin tin, filling each muffin to the top.
- Bake for 25 minutes and let cool.
The best time to remove your muffins from the tin is right out of the oven! Don't wait for them to cool, as they will continue to cook in the tin and become more difficult to remove.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 316Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 163mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 2gSugar: 26gProtein: 5g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate.