Current status: Day 4960385 of self-quarantine during a world-wide pandemic. When I tell my kids about this time in my life, I want to be sure of one thing in particular: that I was on top of the trends. I was hip. That’s why I needed to jump on the train and finally bake a quarantine banana bread. It seems like banana bread is the solution to any and all problems of people staying at home these past few weeks. This gluten free pretzel crusted banana bread certainly cured the problem of a nagging sweet tooth.
Firstly, let’s discuss this gluten free pretzel crust for our beloved banana bread. I love the salty sweet flavor combination when adding this to our banana bread. I used gluten free pretzels baked from cassava and chickpea flour. Blend these up with melted butter and press mixture into your greased loaf pan to create a crust. I will admit that you might lose a bit of your crust when removing the loaf from pan after baking. To avoid this, I would recommend baking as smaller loaves of muffins. Remember to bake at a higher temperature for a lesser amount of time. Nonetheless, I was quite happy with my loaf results and promise it will still hold a crust and be a delicious addition to your typical banana bread. Butter is by far the key to keeping your crust, so don’t be scant with it.
The base of this gluten free pretzel crusted banana bread, the banana bread batter of course, is super basic and can be made entirely in your blender! I used oats blended into oat floour for a gluten free option. I love using oats for gluten free baking, since it’s a pantry staple and easy to blend into flour.
If you don’t have oats on hand, oat flour can be substituted 1:1 with rice flour or a combination of all-purpose and whole wheat flour instead. Substituting flours can be messy, don’t forget that Google is your friend. Alright, let’s get down to the good stuff now, shall we?
- 1 1/2 c grain-free pretzel twists
- 1/4 c unsalted butter, melted
- 2 1/2 c rolled oats
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 c maple syrup or honey
- 1 1/2 tbsp white distilled vinegar
- 1 c chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Pulse pretzels in a blender until crushed. Heat butter until melted in a medium-sized bowl. Add pretzels to butter. Press mixture into the bottom of the greased loaf pan with a spoon or icing spatula.
- Add oats to blender and pulse until it becomes a fine powder.
- Add all banana bread ingredients aside from chocolate chips. Blend until a smooth batter forms.
- Fold in chocolate chips with an icing spatula and pour into loaf pan atop pretzel crust.
- Top with additional pretzels and bake for 35 minutes.
- Let cool & enjoy!
Baking this recipe as muffins? Try baking at 375°F for 15 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 260Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 412mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 4gSugar: 21gProtein: 4g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate.