Summer time and the living is sweet. Sweet like freshly picked strawberries. My fridge has been jam packed with them lately.
The other day babe was out with friends and I decided to have a solo girl’s night… which consisted of me dancing around the kitchen, blaring Taylor Swift and baking this strawberry banana bread. I know, I know. A pretty good time for a Thursday night.
I decided to shoot for a banana bread. I’m not particularly gifted in the baking department, so I try to keep it basic. I mean, it’s a pretty tricky sport if you ask me… you don’t even know if you’ve ruined your recipe until you’ve baked it for an hour and then it’s too late! We keep things as simple as possible around here.
So of course I had to douse my banana bread in loads of strawberries because HELLO SUMMER. I sprinkled in some cinnamon and vanilla extract for good measure. The strawberries added extra moisture to the loaf, which has made for a very delicious desset, breakfast and snack. Funny how banana bread works that way- it’s so multi-functional. HA!
WHOLE WHEAT STRAWBERRY BANANA BREAD
Prep time: 1 hour & 10 minutes
1/2 c honey
1/3 c melted coconut oil
2 ripe bananas, mashed
2 tbsp water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tspn salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 3/4 c whole wheat flour
1/2 c strawberries, chopped
- Pre-heat your oven to 325°F and grease a loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk melted coconut oil and honey until well combined.
- Add eggs and beat mixture with a whisk until smooth.
- Add bananas and water. Mash and mix until smooth. I used a hand immersion blender.
- Whisk in baking soda, vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt to batter.
- Switch your mixing device to a spoon and add whole wheat flour.
- When well combined, fold in strawberries; save some to top your loaf after pouring!
- Transfer batter to greased loaf pan and sprinkle with cinnamon and more strawberries.
- Bake for 60 minutes. Be sure to let the loaf cool before slicing in to enjoy!