I grew up eating my Mom’s homemade coconut macaroons. They were always a big hit come Passover time in our home. Today I’m sharing an extra special version of these simple treats with you featuring a secret ingredient for added nutritional benefits; Silver Fern Tino™ Natural Prebiotic Fiber.
Tino™ Natural Prebiotic Fiber provides these macaroons with added fiber that nourishes healthy gut bacteria! I’ve been learning all about gut health via Silver Fern’s Gut Health Academy video series lately.
What have I learned about fiber from the videos? Here’s the gist: All of the good bacteria in your gut need food… and that food is fiber! All plant food provides you with fiber, but no animal foods do. It’s as simple as that. So, it’s suggested that women consume a minimum of 25g of fiber per day and men 35g minimum. Meanwhile, Tino™ provides 10g of fiber per serving!
It’s a water soluble supplement (AKA it dissolves in liquid) with a slightly sweet cherry taste, which is why I decided to add some frozen cherries to my chocolate to accent it! Yum.
Aside from adding Tino™ to your macaroon’s coconut mixture, you can also add it to smoothies, oatmeal, etc. Plus aside from fiber, Gut Health Academy shares valuable insights into how good and bad bacteria work, how probiotics can help, fermentation and gut diseases.
Okay, enough informational tidbits, let’s back to this macaroon recipe, shall we?
CHOCOLATE CHERRY COCONUT MACAROONS
Serves: 16 macaroons
3 c shredded unsweetened coconut
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp coconut oil
1/3 c frozen cherries, finely diced
1/2 c chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease a baking sheet (I used coconut oil spray!).
- Add coconut flakes to a food processor or blender and blend until dough-like consistency.
- Add honey, Tino™ and vanilla extract to mixture and continue to blend.
- Scoop out balls and lay them on your baking sheet. I used a firmly packed tablespoon and it allowed me to lightly tap the baking sheet and let the scoops fall out.
- Spray macaroon tops with a bit more coconut oil and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove macaroons from the oven and create chocolate for dipping while they cool!
- Microwave chocolate and coconut oil in 30 seconds increments until smooth.
- Once smooth, mix diced cherries with chocolate.
- Carefully dip the bottom of each macaroon in your chocolate cherry mixture. I laid them atop a fork to allow them to drip too!
- After all macaroons are dipped and returned to your pan or a fresh plate, refrigerate for 20 minutes to allow them to harden.
PS you can use code XXRLILLY for 15% off your purchase on Silver Fern’s website.