This is not your typical frozen chocolate covered banana. These little bites are amped up! Stuffed with nut butter and rice crispy cereal for an added crunch. They are crunchy, sweet and best of all- chocolatey.
Chocolate covered banans have always been a favorite of mine. Let’s not talk about how vastly over-priced they are to buy pre-made, because we all know it’s a huge mess to make yourself, but 100% worth it.
I remember in college I came home after the last day of my internship and Justin had made me a messy plate of frozen chocolate covered bananas to celebrate. How sweet!
This go around, I wanted to make them into little bite sizes. Perfect for a small sweet snack! I’d seen them stuffed with nut butter before too. Like a little banana sandwich covered in chocolate. But I needed to go bigger- better– I needed to add some crunchy rice crispy cereal. The perfect little crunch in the center. Like the best part of a Carvel cake. (If you know, you know! Everyone wants those dang crunchies.)
To avoid a huge mess- I used toothpicks for dipping my frozen banana sandwiches into the melted chocolate. This allowed some leverage in lifting the sandwiches back out of the bowl once covered and a bit heavy, as they are delicate. If you don’t have toothpicks on hand, I would suggest just drizzling your chocolate instead.
FROZEN CHOCOLATE COVERED BANANA BITES
Prep time: 40 minutes
1/4 c nut butter
1/4 c rice crispy cereal
1/2 c chocolate chips
3 tbsp coconut oil
- Slice bananas into 1 inch thick rounds. Place on a lined baking sheet and freeze for 15 minutes.
- After removing from freezer, dollop a tsp of nutbutter onto each round.
- Sprinkle rice crispy cereal on half of your banana rounds. Top your rice crispy round with the non-rice crispy rounds- creating a sandwich (banana-nut butter-rice crispy-nut butter-banana). Freeze for an additional 15 minutes.
- While freezing, melt your chocolate and coconut oil in a small bowl via microwave or stove top. 30 seconds in the microwave should do it- try heating in 15 second increments until melted. Stir to combine.
- Remove frozen banana sandwiches from the freezer. Inserting a tooth pick in each is helpful here! Dip each sandwich into your chocolate mixture until covered. Freeze until you’d like to enjoy.