Do you know the difference between a spring roll and an egg roll? The only real difference is the shell, which can be fried and crispy or light and flaky. So technically, this could be an egg roll too. Either way, we’re skipping the shell and going straight for the good stuff inside.
What’s inside? You ask. Great question! Simply, it’s cole slaw mix, coconut aminos, ground meat and a spicy mayo dressing. I opted to make my own cole slaw mix of cabbage, carrots and parsley, but if you’re in a hurry, you can skip this step and go straight for the bagged coleslaw kit near the spinach and lettuce at your local Sprouts.
I grabbed all of the goods for my simple ingredients list at Sprouts, including Big Tree Farms Organic Coco Aminos. PSA Sprouts is having a huge organics sale throughout early April! As if their prices weren’t good enough already…
Anywho, I think the real star of the show here is the spicy mayo. I’m not typically a mayo person AT ALL. I mean, my huge jar of avocado oil mayo sits in the fridge for months untouched. But, how could I make a spring roll without spicy mayo? So I gave it a go. And you know what? No regrets. This sauce is EVERYTHING. Feel free to add a bit more hot sauce if you’re feeling spicy, I play it a little more on the cautious side when it comes to spice in our house (Justin and I are both sissys!).
Did I mention that this recipe makes for great leftovers? It’s one of those dishes that gets better with age! Letting the bowl soak in the coconut aminos overnight makes it even more flavorful. I would recommend keeping the spicy mayo separate until serving though.
ONE BOWL SPRING ROLL
Prep time: 35 minutes
1 tbsp olive oil
1 lb ground turkey
½ tsp pink Himalayan salt
½ tsp black pepper
½ red cabbage, thinly sliced
½ green cabbage, thinly sliced
4 carrots, julienned or shredded
3 tbsp fresh parsley
Substitute with cole slaw mix
1/4 c avocado oil mayonnaise
2 tsp hot sauce
3 scallions, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp coconut aminos
- After slicing the cabbage and carrots, toss with parsley in a large bowl, set aside.
- Heat a large frying pan with olive oil over medium heat. Add ground turkey, salt and pepper. Cook for six minutes, breaking up the meat into small ‘ground’ pieces.
- In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise and hot sauce. Add more hot sauce as you see fit. Set aside.
- Add scallions and garlic to ground meat. Stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Slowly add cole slaw mix to skillet. Stir to combine.
- Add coconut aminos to skillet and continue to stir for about 4 minutes. We want the veggies cooked, but still crunchy!
- Serve with a drizzle of spicy mayo to enjoy!